Hingis done for season, undecided on playing in 2014

by: Matt Cronin | September 19, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP Photo

Former No. 1 Martina Hingis has ended her season, TENNIS.com has learned. Hingis returned to the WTA in August to play doubles with Daniela Hantuchova, but the pair failed to get out of the second round of any of the five tournaments that they contested.

After her loss to top seeds Sara Errani and Robert Vinci at the U.S. Open, Hingis said that she planned on playing Tokyo and Beijing. The Hall of Famer was listed on Tokyo’s web site as planning to play and then withdrawing  for “personal reasons,” but a member of Hingis' camp told TENNIS.com that while both Tokyo and Beijing offered her wild cards, she never accepted them.

Hingis will still travel to Tokyo to take part in the event’s 30th anniversary celebration.

The 32-year-old Hingis—who came back for the second time in her career this season—has yet to decide whether she will compete again next year.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Splendor in the Grass: On turf triumphs by Federer, Kvitova, Lopez

Four takeaways from last weekend's great spread of grass-court tennis.

John McEnroe: Serena Williams would be ranked 'like 700' on ATP tour

The seven-time Grand Slam champion made the statement on NPR while promoting his memoir.

A day after title win, Kvitova pulls out of Eastbourne with ab injury

Last week was Kvitova's second tournament of the season.