Murray admits post-Wimbledon letdown

by: Matt Cronin | September 05, 2013

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP Photo

After losing to Stanislas Wawrinka in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open, Andy Murray admits he is experiencing a post-Wimbledon letdown.

"When you work hard for something for a lot of years, you know, it's going to take a bit of time to really fire yourself up and get yourself training 110%," he said. "That's something that I think is kind of natural after what happened at Wimbledon."

Murray added that he still made a full effort to defend his U.S. Open title. "I mean, I have been here nearly three weeks now," he said. "I practiced a lot, and played quite a lot of matches, as well. So I gave myself a chance to do well because I prepared properly."

The Scot has won two Grand Slam titles in the last 12 months, as well as the Olympic gold medal last July. "If someone told me before the U.S. Open last year... I would have taken that 100%," he said, but acknowledged that it has also been draining.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Tennis Congress teaches participants to improve as players and people

Tennis Congress is a half-week long confab of more than 250 players and 75 instructors. 

Aljaz Bedene to compete for Slovenia once again

A British citizen since 2015, the world No. 49 couldn't fully represent the nation.

Jelena Ostapenko brings David Taylor on as new coach

The Latvian finished 2017 at a career-high No. 7 in the WTA rankings.