Azarenka pulls out of Key Biscayne

by: AP March 12, 2014

AP

Key Biscayne, Fla. (AP)—Two-time Key Biscayne champion Victoria Azarenka has withdrawn from the upcoming Sony Open because of a lingering foot injury.

Azarenka, who pulled out Wednesday, missed last year's tournament because of an ankle injury. She played for the first time in more than a month Friday and lost at Indian Wells to Lauren Davis.

Aside from the No. 4-ranked Azarenka, all of the top 10 players on the men's and women's tours are scheduled to compete at Key Biscayne.

Former No. 1 Martina Hingis will be given a doubles wild card with Sabine Lisicki. Hingis last played in the tournament in 2007.

The two-week event begins Tuesday.

More Stories

Federer-Zverev highlight Tuesday's Aussie Open quarterfinal matches

Muguruza plays Vandeweghe, Wawrinka plays Tsonga and Venus plays Pavlyuchenkova.

Eighteen years later, Lucic-Baroni returns to a major quarterfinal

"F--- everything and everybody who ever tells you you can’t do it," she told the crowd. 

The Latest: Navratilova says pressure of No. 1 got to Kerber

The Bryans announced Sunday on Instagram that they'd be retiring from the Davis Cup team.