Del Potro undergoes wrist surgery, will be out six months

by: Kamakshi Tandon | March 24, 2014

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Juan Martin del Potro Facebook

Juan Martin del Potro has undergone wrist surgery and is expected to recover "on schedule," said a statement released by his management.

"During the operation, it was discovered that the damage to his wrist ligaments was worse than expected based upon the high resolution imaging obtained before the surgery," said the statement from the Mayo Clinic, where the surgery was performed. "Even so, the surgery went very well and as planned. The damaged ligaments were repaired and reinforced."

The Argentine posted a picture of himself on Facebook after the surgery.

Del Potro's surgeon, Dr. Richard Berger, said, "Given the degree of damage that was discovered in Juan Martin's wrist, it is amazing he was able to play at all."

Del Potro is expected to be out for six months. He underwent a similar procedure on the right wrist in 2010.
 

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Muguruza beats Garcia again to advance to Dubai semifinals

The Spaniard had just beaten Garcia in the quarterfinal in Doha last week. 

The 50 Greatest Players of the Open Era (M): No. 7, Ken Rosewall

A speedy attacker and born net-rusher, Rosewall was known for his one-handed backhand. 

The 50 Greatest Players of the Open Era (W): No. 7, Monica Seles

In Seles' brief period of indomitability, she set the bar higher for other champions.