Del Potro withdraws from Indian Wells, will try to play Miami

by: Kamakshi Tandon March 09, 2014

AP Photo

Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from Indian Wells with continuing problems in his left wrist.

“The wrist is still bothering me a lot. I signed up for doubles here to try before singles how I'm feeling, and I played yesterday and I didn't feel really well,” he said.

The injury, which began at the Australian Open, is similar to the one in his right wrist which required surgery in 2010.

Del Potro said he had been having treatment for about a week before the tournament and will continue to do so in an effort to play Miami.

“My doctors tell me to wait ten more days doing the treatment and do everything possible to play in Miami. That's what is my focus now. I will have the next ten days for do the same treatment, the same exercises, the same rehabilitation, and try to get in Miami much better than here and see what could happen in that tournament.”

Del Potro added that he would only play if he felt the wrist had recovered sufficiently. "Sometimes better lose the tournament than lose a year, you know," he observed.

More Stories

Agnieszka Radwanska wins 19th career title in New Haven without losing a set

The top seed defeated Elina Svitolina, 6-1, 7-6 (3).

At Puerto Rico parade, gold medalist Monica Puig saw island's hope

''I really hope I gave them a lot of confidence moving forward,'' she said about her nation.