Del Potro withdraws from Miami with wrist injury

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

AP

Juan Martin del Potro has withdrawn from Miami with an ongoing wrist problem.

Del Potro also pulled out of the singles tournament at Indian Wells after the injury affected him during a doubles match. He decided not to play and continue treatment in an effort to be fit for Miami, but is still experiencing problems.

"During these days I was training at the Crandon Park and followed the treatment to try to play in Miami, but I still feel pain in my left wrist and I don't feel competitive to go on court," del Potro said on Facebook, adding, "It's a pity because this is a special tournament for me since there are many Latin fans and Argentines in particular."

The injury affected him del Potro at the Australian Open and has bothered him during subsequent events. The 2009 U.S. Open champion has not played a singles match since retiring from his opening-round match in Dubai last month, after losing the first set to Somdev Devvarman.

Del Potro has described the problem as a ligament issue similar to the one that required surgery on his right wrist in 2010.

"In the next few days I will visit my doctor again to determine the following steps," he said.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Your chance to win a once-in-a-lifetime vacation to Australia

Enter for a chance to win airfare, accommodations and tickets to the 2019 Australian Open.

Svitolina’s focus, health not there despite moving into third round

The world No. 4 had some trouble defeating Katerina Siniakova on Wednesday. 

Promising Tiafoe runs into lethal del Potro—an Australian title threat

The Argentine won 6-3, 6-4, 6-3, a product of his power, precision and professionalism.