Federer accepts wild card into Monte Carlo Masters

by: AP April 08, 2014

AP

MONACO—Roger Federer has accepted a wild card invitation to play in the Monte Carlo Masters after skipping the tournament for the past two years.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion, who lost three straight finals in Monte Carlo to Rafael Nadal from 2006-08, has not played in the tournament since 2011, when he lost to Jurgen Melzer in the quarterfinals.

The 32-year-old Federer won his first title of the year in Dubai, beating Novak Djokovic in a three-set semifinal. He lost in the semifinals at the Australian Open and has reached three finals, losing narrowly to Djokovic in the BNP Paribas Open final last month and to Lleyton Hewitt in Brisbane in early January.

The tournament starts Sunday.
 

More Stories

Venus and Serena Williams begin U.S. Open campaigns on Day 2

The 36-year-old will play Kateryna Kozlova; Serena will face Ekaterina Makarova.

The Latest: Halep, Nishikori advance; American teen Donaldson upsets Goffin

Halep says she wasn't perfect, but pleased with how she played against the Belgian. 

Ana Ivanovic exits U.S. Open early again with first-round loss to Denisa Allertova

Ivanovic, who turns 29 in November, said she's not considering retirement.