Months after horrific attack, Petra Kvitova hopes to play French Open

by: AP | April 18, 2017

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Kvitova says "there remains a long road ahead" as she recovers from surgery. (AP)

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova says she has been making "good progress" in her recovery after being attacked by a knife-wielding intruder last year and hopes to be able to compete at the French Open next month.

Kvitova says in an Instagram post that her name appears on the Roland Garros entry list because she signed up for the clay-court Grand Slam tournament, even if she will not necessarily be able to play.

The French Open begins May 28.

Kvitova says "there remains a long road ahead" as she recovers from surgery to her left hand in December, when she was injured during an attack at her home in the Czech Republic. She plays tennis left-handed.

Kvitova won Wimbledon in 2011 and 2014 and has been ranked as high as No. 2.

___

More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/tag/apf-Tennis

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

In key pre-Open showdown, Muguruza saves 3 match points to stun Keys

It's the first time the two-time major champ has defeated the American in four meetings.

Serena committed to 'outrageous plan' to return at Australian Open

"I’m not walking anything back," Williams said, "but I’m just saying it’s pretty intense."

Nadal on ATP's wave of injuries: Nobody understands it better than me

Seven of the Top 10 are currently sidelined with injuries.