Roger Federer reaffirms intention not to play until French Open

by: Kamakshi Tandon | April 12, 2017

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

"The body needs a rest, I can feel it,” the Swiss said after an exhibition match. (AP)

Roger Federer has reiterated that he is not planning to play any ATP tour events before the French Open.

The world No. 4, who has won the Australian Open, Indian Wells and Miami so far this season, played an exhibition against Andy Murray earlier this week to benefit his foundation, but has just a few other public appearances scheduled in the next few weeks. 

"I'll be resting most of the time. The body needs a rest, I can feel it," Federer said in a TV interview following his exhibition.

Federer had previously said he wanted to limit his play on clay, traditionally his least successful surface, and concentrate on the second half of the season, which includes Wimbledon and other grass and hard-court tournaments. He has officially withdrawn from the clay-court Masters tournaments in Madrid and Rome.

"Everything is good,” said Federer. "I should be back for the French Open, that's the plan."

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

In a GIF: Eager pigeon disrupts play at Wimbledon qualifying event

The little guy just wanted a better view.

Djokovic pleased with decision to play Eastbourne, happy with win

Djokovic is playing a grass-court warm-up for the first time since 2010. 

Players, sponsors react to Dan Evans' positive cocaine test

Evans' clothing sponsor, Ellesse, has dropped the 27-year-old world No. 55.