The WTA has criticized the Madrid Open for Ilie Nastase's appearance during the trophy ceremony for the women's final in Madrid.
Nastase, who was provisionally suspended by the ITF for inappropriate conduct as Romanian Fed Cup captain during a recent tie against Great Britain, was on court for the trophy presentation. He spoke and was photographed with fellow Romanian and women's champion Simona Halep, who thanked the former Grand Slam champion for attending.
However, WTA CEO Steve Simon issued a statement saying Nastase should not have been involved.
"The only shadow cast on the day was Mr. Nastase's invitation to participate in today's award ceremony. He had no place on court today," he said in the statement. "He is currently under a provisional suspension by the ITF for his prior offensive actions and we revoked his credential privileges at WTA events while the investigation is being completed.
"It was both irresponsible and unacceptable of the Madrid Open to bestow him an official role.
"The Madrid tournament is a Premier-level event and held to the highest standards of professional tennis and leadership which were not reflected today."
Nastase is also a friend of tournament owner and fellow Romanian Ion Tiriac, and was in the stands during the week watching the matches.
· Get Tennis Channel Plus for Roland Garros to watch 200 live matches from up to five courts, starting with the Qualifying Rounds.
· Watch the Best of Roland Garros 2016 on-demand at any time
· Get Tennis Channel Plus for all of Roland Garros, as well as 650+ live events all year long
· Tennis Channel Plus is available on any streaming device, on mobile, always on the GO (desktop, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire)
· Subscribe today at BuyTCPlus.com