Kerber withdraws from Birmingham, could be doubtful for next week

by: Kamakshi Tandon | June 18, 2017

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Angelique Kerber is trying to ensure she's fit for the start of Wimbledon. (AP)

Angelique Kerber has withdrawn from the grass-court event in Birmingham, England, with an ongoing hamstring problem.

The world No. 1 experienced the injury in Madrid, and has not won a match since then. She said the problem recurred when she began training again following the French Open. She is also scheduled to play next week in Eastbourne, but indicated that no decision has been made about competing there.

"It was fine but then it comes back a little bit," she said. "I'm still hopeful of playing next week at Eastbourne, and I really want to be right for Wimbledon."

Kerber was the defending champion in Birmingham.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Former world No. 2 Vera Zvonareva wins qualifying match at U.S. Open

She defeated 17th seed and world No. 125 Han Xinyun, 7-6 (4), 6-1. 

Boxing fan Andy Murray breaks down upcoming Mayweather-McGregor fight

You can rest assured that the world No. 2 will be watching on Saturday night. 

Lawyers to see Venus Williams' cellphone data after crash

Her lawyers say Williams wasn't distracted.