Citing a need for rest, Rafael Nadal withdraws from Queen's Club

by: AP | June 13, 2017

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

"I have decided my body needs to rest if I am going to be ready to play Wimbledon," Rafael Nadal said. (AP)

LONDON (AP) — French Open champion Rafael Nadal says he will miss next week's tournament at Queen's Club as he needs to rest ahead of Wimbledon.

Nadal told Britain's Lawn Tennis Association website that he had originally planned to play the grass-court tournament in London.

But he added that "at 31, and after a long clay court season with all of the emotions of Roland Garros, and after speaking to my team and doctor, I have decided my body needs to rest if I am going to be ready to play Wimbledon."

Top-ranked Andy Murray will be looking to defend his title at Queen's. The field includes U.S. Open champion Stan Wawrinka, who beat Murray in the semifinals at Roland Garros before losing to Nadal in Sunday's final.

Wimbledon starts July 3 at the All England Club.

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

Splendor in the Grass: On turf triumphs by Federer, Kvitova, Lopez

Four takeaways from last weekend's great spread of grass-court tennis.

John McEnroe: Serena Williams would be ranked 'like 700' on ATP tour

The seven-time Grand Slam champion made the statement on NPR while promoting his memoir.

A day after title win, Kvitova pulls out of Eastbourne with ab injury

Last week was Kvitova's second tournament of the season.