Roger Federer says physical fitness will determine his schedule for the rest of the season, which begins with next week's Shanghai Masters.
"The next [few] weeks are extremely important, with Shanghai and Basel, maybe Paris, and the ATP Finals in London," Federer said, adding that his hometown tournament at Basel would "take priority" against the following week's Paris Masters, if he decides he cannot play both events.
Federer said that he is not as concerned with No. 1 because of Nadal's almost 2,000-point lead in the rankings. "I will concentrate on myself, and play just when I am ready," he said.
Federer has won five of the nine events he has played this season, and is currently No. 2 in the rankings.
· Classic Rivalries: Relive the fiercest rivalries tennis on the Classic Rivalries Channel now playing on Tennis Channel Plus
· Shenzhen Open: Watch live action in Shenzhen including World No. 4 Alexander Zverev and World No. 12 David Goffin.
· Shenzhen Open: Don’t miss any of the coverage from China, watch live ATP Shenzhen coverage this Wednesday, September 27 on Tennis Channel Plus
· Grand Slam Rewind: Watch the best from this year’s Grand Slams with encore coverage from 2017 on Tennis Channel Plus
• Get Tennis Channel Plus for 650+ live events all year long
• Tennis Channel Plus is available on any streaming device, on mobile, always on the GO (desktop, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire)
• Subscribe today at BuyTCPlus.com