Karolina Pliskova, who has clinched a spot in the semifinals of the WTA Finals, says the surface at the tournament is helping her even though it is playing slow.
Pliskova lost, 3-6, 1-6, to Jelena Ostapenko on Thursday, but she is still moving on regardless.
“I think this surface is making quite big difference with the serves, because even though I don't hit great first serve, I still can have a point from it, which on some surfaces, when it slides really into the hand, I can have a good return back, which is not happening here, so I have quite lot of points from the first serve and also few aces,” she said. “But I feel the serve, the motion, quite okay this week. Even the second serve, I feel like it's working here, so I'm trying to always mix it a little bit.”
Pliskova won her group with two straight-sets wins against Venus Williams and Garbine Muguruza. The No.3-ranked Pliskova immediately jumped on Muguruza, whom she has defeated seven times.
“I know she can play very good tennis. I have had couple of matches where we played amazing tennis together,” Pliskova said. “And all the matches were pretty close except I think two, so this one is one of them.
"She can be pretty, let's say, off, like everybody can be off, but this was probably one of her days. I remember the last one I lost, in Cincinnati [Muguruza beat her 6-2, 6-2 in the semis], so I just really wanted to be ready from first ball.”
Karolina Pliskova is leading the WTA tour in aces, with 438. She is ahead of both Julia Goerges, with 401 aces, and her sister, Kristyna Pliskova, who has 372.
Summary on TC Plus –LIVE ATP Moscow
· WTA Top 8: Gear up for the WTA Finals and watch the Greatest Eight Channel featuring all the top-ranked women
· LIVE ITF Junior Masters: Discover the next generation of tennis stars and watch live coverage of the ITF Junior Masters exclusively on Tennis Channel Plus
• Get Tennis Channel Plus for 650+ live events all year long
• Tennis Channel Plus is available on any streaming device, on mobile, always on the GO (desktop, iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire)
• Subscribe today at BuyTCPlus.com