Djokovic confirms ‘small medical intervention’ after leaving clinic

by: Kamakshi Tandon | February 02, 2018

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

Twelve-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic made the announcement on Instagram. (AP)

Novak Djokovic’s latest Instagram post states that he been dealing with an elbow injury for the past two years, suggests he decided to play the Australian Open against some medical opinions ("I really missed competing, it’s in my blood and I had to give it a try on AO.") and revealed that he “accepted to do a small medical intervention” in order to try and regain full playing health.

 

Hey guys, I owe you some news about my recovery. I’ve been carrying this injury for the past two years, and during this time I’ve been seeing many doctors. Truth be told, there were many different opinions, different diagnoses, different suggestions... It was not easy for me to choose which way to go and what to do. I took 6 months off last season hoping to come back fully recovered, but unfortunately I still felt pain. I really missed competing, it’s in my blood and I had to give it a try on AO. Anyhow, I agreed with my team that I would try different methods after I finish in Australia and a few days ago I accepted to do a small medical intervention on my elbow. It seems like I am on the good road now to full recovery. It’s quite a journey this one, I have to say. I’m learning a lot and for that I’m grateful. I’ve always taken care of my body and looked for the most natural ways to heal, and my body has rewarded me with some incredible years on tour. I am super positive and excited to follow my recovery through so I can come back to the place I love the most. The court. I’ll keep you posted and thanks for cheering me on!

A post shared by Novak Djokovic (@djokernole) on


Numerous media outlets, including Switzerland’s Blick, reported that Djokovic was seen leaving a surgical clinic in Switzerland, with photos showing his right hand heavily bandaged. The Serb was at the Rennbahnklinik in Muttenz, which is known for orthopedic and rehabilitation expertise, especially with athletes.

The tabloid suggested that Djokovic had surgery on his hand, citing Italian website Ubitennis, saying that the 30-year-old has an extraneous bone or fragment that could have required removal. It also cited other rumors that Djokovic had previously gone to the Czech Republic for consultations about his elbow, the source of his injury problems.

A chief doctor at the surgical clinic did not confirm that Djokovic had surgery, or even acknowledged that he had been at the clinic; he was quoted in the story as saying, "I saw Mr. Djokovic just on television playing the Australian Open, and he already wore a bandage on his right hand."

Djokovic wore an arm sleeve on court during the tournament, but had no strapping on his hand.

Djokovic has been having ongoing elbow problems, returning from a six-month layoff at the Australian Open with what appeared to be a renewed injury in the area. Following his fourth-round loss to eventual semifinalist Hyeon Chung, Djokovic said he would have to “reassess” the problem, indicating that could include surgery, which had previously not been advised by specialists.

The Instagram post was Djokovic’s first comment about the injury since the Australian Open.


 

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter Email

More Stories

ATP Finals Semifinals Preview: Federer v. Zverev; Djokovic v. Anderson

Djokovic is looking to cap off his remarkable 2018 comeback with a win in London.

Zverev tops Isner to set up semifinal clash with Federer at ATP Finals

Zverev is just 2-3 in his career when facing Federer, but he's confident in his chances. 

With win over Anderson, Federer qualifies for semifinals at ATP Finals

Despite the 6-4, 6-3 loss, Anderson also advanced.