WATCH—Hot Shot: Gilles Simon vs. Benoit Paire Pune quarterfinal
Novak Djokovic says a semifinal defeat in Doha will not affect him going into Melbourne.
The top seed was up a set and a break against Roberto Bautista Agut but fell in what was his third consecutive three-setter. He had also played doubles during the week with his brother Marko, reaching the semifinals.
"I wasn’t the freshest, you know," he told press at Doha, describing the week as positive despite his defeat. "This is what I was looking forward to, to get from this tournament, as many matches as possible, to get ready for the Australian Open, so I’m very pleased."
Asked about his goal at the Australian Open, the No. 1 replied, "A trophy."
Djokovic, who has been the champion six times at Melbourne, appeared irritated at questions about whether the Doha defeat had changed that, saying, "I don't understand that comment. You asked me what my goal is and it's a trophy."
The Serb will be the top seed at Melbourne.
This Week on Tennis Channel Plus:
Hopman Cup (Sat - Sat 12.29 - 1.5)
• Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Serena Williams and Angelique Kerber headline the Hopman Cup. Watch live coverage on Tennis Channel Plus beginning Saturday 12/29 at 9:00pm ET.
ATP/WTA Brisbane (Sun - Sun 12.30 - 1.6)
• Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray, Naomi Osaka and Sloane Stephens open their 2019 seasons in Brisbane. Live coverage from three courts begins on Tennis Channel Plus on Sunday 12/30 at 8:00pm ET.
WTA Auckland (Sun - Sun 12.30 - 1.6)
• Catch the action from the ASB Classic including Venus Williams and Caroline Wozniacki. Live coverage begins on Tennis Channel Plus on Sunday 12/30 at 8:00pm ET.
WTA Shenzhen (Sat - Sat 12.29 - 1.5)
• Watch first to last ball action from the Shenzhen Open featuring Maria Sharapova and Jelena Ostapenko beginning Saturday 12/29 at 11:00pm ET.
ATP Pune (Mon - Sat 12.31 - 1.5)
• Watch Kevin Anderson, Marin Cilic and Hyeon Chung live from Pune starting Monday 12/31 at 6:30am ET.