Long-time friends and rivals, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal met for their 39th matchup. For the last 16 years, these two have combined to win 37 Grand Slam titles and brought crowds to their feet in awe-inspiring bouts. On Friday, Nadal defeated the 20-time Grand Slam champion in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, 6-2. Although the score indicates another dominating performance for Nadal, it was an exciting and tricky clash between the two.
1. A precious moment between eleven-time Roland Garros champion and a lucky boy as they both walk onto Court Phillipe Chatrier.
2. Two world class smiles that will never be forgotten. The 2009 champion Federer was appearing in the Roland Garros semifinals for the first time since 2012, while Nadal carried a 11-0 record in the French Open final four heading into their encounter.
3. "I don't look like I fight, but I do. And I tried to believe in it. I tried to turn the match around until the end. But the further along down the match, the better he seemed to feel in the wind" said Federer in his post-match press conference.
4. Nadal was a force of nature, impressively navigating his way through 40 m.p.h. gusts to move within a match of claiming his 12th Roland Garros crown and 18th major title.
5. Despite Federer winning their last five meetings, Nadal was able to keep his perfect Paris record against his long-time rival by claiming his six win in six French Open battles with the Swiss. Nadal now leads their head-to-head series, 24-15.