As week one nears a close, the level of play picked up and unexpected names advanced into the fourth round for the first time. These photos sum up all the action from day five at Wimbledon.
1. Hubert Hurkacz chased every ball down, giving world No. 1 Novak Djokovic everything he could handle. Hurkacz presented the Serb with his first real test but in the end Djokovic's ability to spread the court and superb returning proved to be too much, as he lifted his game to post a 7-5, 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-4 victory to move one step closer to holding his fifth Wimbledon title.
2. Karolina Pliskova captured her eighth straight grass-court victory by overcoming No. 28 seed Hsieh Su-wei, 6-3, 2-6, 6-4. The third seed was able to fend off Hsieh with her overwhelming ground game and powerful serve. Pliskova, who was topped by Hsieh earlier this year, aced her way into the second week and will continue to fight for her first Grand Slam trophy against fellow Czech Karolina Muchova.
3. Guido Pella upset No. 4 seed Kevin Anderson 6-4, 6-3, 7-6(4), on Centre Court in his third-round match. Just over 12 months ago, Pella had never won a match on grass, before ousting 2017 finalist Marin Cilic, and appears to be maintaining confidence on the big stage against the top names. The Argentine is into the fourth round at a Grand Slam for the first time and will next take on 2016 finalist Milos Raonic.
4. Simona Halep dominated in her 6-3, 6-1 third-round win over two-time Grand Slam champion Victoria Azarenka. The Romanian exploited Azarenka's weaknesses and relentlessly stepped into the court, applying pressure on Azarenka to draw 20 unforced errors from the Belarusian, compared to just four from Halep.
5. Cori Gauff may be 15 years-old but she already has the composure and no-quit attitude of a Grand Slam champion. Before completing her 3-6, 7-6 (7), 7-5 victory, Polona Hercog had two match points in the second set. In the tensest of moments, Gauff, who qualified into the main draw, let her strokes flow freely. She rallied back to claim her sixth straight Wimbledon match, revealing a whole new level of poise, and will face Simona Halep in the fourth round.