It was a thrilling day in Toronto and Montreal as many players were pushed to their limits to survive another day. These are the Top 5 photos that sum up Thursday's action.
1. World No. 3 Karolina Pliskova is still on the path to regain the No. 1 ranking at the end of this week. The Czech defeated Anett Kontaveit, 6-3, 7-5, to set up a quarterfinal matchup with 19-year-old Bianca Andreescu. If Naomi Osaka also reaches the quarterfinals, Pliskova will need to advance to the final to remain in contention for the top spot.
2. Bianca Andreescu is roaring back from her shoulder injury that kept her from finishing a tournament since her Indian Wells triumph. The 19-year-old showed tremendous grit in her 6-1, 6-7 (7), 6-4 victory against world No. 5 Kiki Bertens in the third round. The 21-and-under star is currently a perfect 5-0 against Top 10 players this season.
3. The crowd didn't stop Karen Khachanov from finding a way to win on Thursday. The Russian stayed composed in the most crucial moments to defeat birthday boy Felix Auger-Aliassime, 6-7 (7), 7-5, 6-3. Khachanov is into his fourth ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinal and will face Alexander Zverev next, where he will attempt to even up their head-to-head record to 2-2.
4. No rain stopped the action on Thursday in Montreal. It was a perfect day for tennis as the Canadian crowd packed Court Central to watch the close battle between hometown favorite Auger-Aliassime and No. 6 seed Khachanov.
5. Just two weeks ago Nikolaz Basilashvili saved two match points to deny Alexander Zverev at his home tournament in Hamburg, but on Thursday, Zverev came out on top. The world No. 7 was able to sustain Basilashvili's aggressive baseline play to slip past, 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (5), in two hours and 45 minutes. The German left everything on the court and later fell to the ground as if he won the tournament when it was all said and done.